With the advent of the digital age, even the banks had to get in on the online payments race. So, they had to find ways to add themselves to online payment applications. Many applications exist, and out of those the most popular one you might know is Google Pay.
So, if you are having any kind of issues with adding your Barclays card to Google Pay, this article will give you all the answers you need.
Does Barclays work with Google Pay?
Short Answer: Yes, Barclays works with Google Pay.
Barclays has a separate website to guide you about Google Pay. It lets you add all the MasterCard or Visa cards that are issued by Barclays.
You can add your Barclays card by following the steps below.
- Step 1: Install Google Play to your device, if you have not used it before, and log in using your Google account credentials.
- Step 2: Once logged in, click on your profile.
- Step 3: There you will have the option to add a credit/ debit card or add a bank account.
- Step 4: Tap on the add credit/debit card option and select the bank account, Barclays (obviously!)
- Step 5: Now, enter the required card details.
- Step 6: You will be charged one dollar to verify that the card is working.
- Step 7: Finally, your Barclays card will be added to Google Pay and can now be used to pay anywhere without a physical card.
After adding your card, you can use it wherever Google Pay, Visa, or MasterCard are accepted. Also, you can use it at places where there is a contactless option. You will see a Near Field Communication (NFC) symbol, at points of sale. There you can just tap your phone and the payment will be done.
Google Pay is accessible and easy to use, just add any of your eligible cards and travel without needing to carry one with you all the time.
Why doesn’t Barclays support Google Pay?
Barclays does support Google Pay and if you are having issues with it, you can try out the following fixes to get it back.
Method 1: Check the server status
If you are having trouble with adding the card to Google Pay or if the app in itself isn’t working, you have to check the status of its server. If the server is under regular maintenance or if it is being updated, you will not be able to access Google Pay.
You need to check their social media handles for any kind of updates. Because Google tends to tweet that their service will not be functional for a couple of hours.
Method 2: Check and enter details
Make sure that all your details related to your Barclays card and Google Pay match. For example, your name on the card should match that of your Google Pay account too. Also, you have to check the following details too.
- The card details like the number on the card, the security code (CSC or CVV), and the date of expiry too.
- Check that you have entered a valid working phone number too.
Method 3: Update Google Pay
An older version of the application, might not give you the features you need. And it might not actually work as you intended.
- Visit the respective application store and search for Google Pay.
- Install any update, if there is any available. Otherwise, make sure that you turn ON auto-updates. So, you will not miss any updates in the future.
Method 4: Clear cache
The cache is the data stored by the application to make your future engagements with it faster. But a lot of this data stored will make your application a lot slower and laggy. It is healthy for your own device, to clear your applications’ cache once every day.
- Open the Settings on your device.
- Search for Applications and under that, you will find Google Pay.
- Select it and you will have various options like Notifications, Permissions, Battery, Data, Storage, and others.
- Then, tap on Storage and you will have two options Clear data and Clear cache too.
- Finally, select Clear cache.
Method 5: Clean install the application
Clean installing is the process of deleting and reinstalling an application.
- Visit the application store on your device.
- Search for Google Pay and uninstall it.
- Wait for a few moments and install it again.
Method 6: Check network connectivity
Any internet-based service requires at least a network speed of 5-7 Mbps. Visit this website to check your network speed. You can turn on and then turn off airplane mode to kick start your network. If that doesn’t work, contact your Internet Service or network provider.
Method 7: Restart your device
An overloaded Random Access Memory (RAM) might cause your applications to glitch. Hold the power button on your device until the pop-up shows you options to Shut down and restart. Select Restart and after that open, the application again and try using your Barclays card.
Method 8: Contact customer support
If nothing seems to work, you need to contact customer support. When the issue seems to be with the application, contact Google Pay for help. Or if the issue is with your card, contact your local branch or Barclays customer support to help you with your issue.
Q1. Is it safe to add your Barclays card to Google Pay?
Yes, it is safe to add your Barclays card to Google Pay.
Your data is assigned to your Google account number and never shared with the Google Pay merchants. Or anywhere else for that matter, it is only visible to you. So, it is absolutely safe and nothing happens without your permission or consent.
This article has informed you that Barclays does support Google Pay and you can add all your eligible cards to it. Also, if you have issues with Barclays linked to Google Pay you can try the fixes mentioned above. I hope this article has helped you solve your predicament.
Sri Sahith is passionate and writes his articles by ensuring attention to detail. During his graduation study, he has taken elective subjects like Business Economics and Financial Analysis. These gave him the interest, knowledge and passion to write articles related to Finance-Tech. Also, he loves to read books and talk about them as long as possible.